2.1.2 Use of Work Equipment Directive 2009/104/EC
The Use of Work Equipment Directive 2009/104/EC contains the minimum specifications for safety and health protection with the use of work equipment. It applies to the operating company (employer) and in Section II includes the following 8 articles:
- Article 3 General Obligations regulates the obligations of the employer and logically requires that the employer ensures that the safety and protection of health are guaranteed with the operation of the work equipment provided.
- Article 4 Regulations for work equipment
- Article 4a Checking the work equipment
The employer ensures that the work equipment has undergone an initial test in line with the individual national legal regulations before the initial operation and after every new installation. The Member States define the modalities for these checks. In Germany this is the Ordinance On Industrial Safety and Health (see below).
- Article 5 Specifically hazardous work equipment
- Article 5a Ergonomics and health protection in the workplace
- Article 6 Informing workers
- Article 7 Training of workers
- Article 8 Consultation and involvement of the worker
The Use of Work Equipment Directive 2009/104/EC can be found in its original text at http://eur-lex.europa.eu.
Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health
With the Ordinance on Industrial Safety and Health, Directive 2009/104/EC and other directives from the work safety area are implemented in German Law. Extracts of just two paragraphs of section 2 will be presented in the following:
§3 Hazard evaluation
(3) "Type, scope and periods of required tests must in particular be determined for the work equipment. Furthermore the employer must determine and define the necessary requirements that the people that are commissioned by the employer with the testing work equipment must satisfy."
Leuze electronic provides competent advice and support services in this respect in its Machine Safety Services service package (see chapter Machine Safety Services).
§14 Work equipment test
(1) "The employer must have work equipment whose safety depends on the mounting conditions checked by a competent person before it is used for the first time."
Leuze electronic provides safety inspections before the initial operation and regular safety inspections thereafter in its Machine Safety Services service package (see chapter Machine Safety Services).